Saturday, September 4, 2010

Walkman Nostalgia

The ipod generation will never know the wonderful limits of the Sony Walkman. Here is a picture of the model I owned back in 1985. It was as small as a cassette case and only needed 1 AA battery. I absolutely loved this device. I think it was better to be forced to listen to one tape at a time rather than choose the myriad combinations of artists and songs the shuffle and playlist features of today's ipods/mp3 players allow. It's the same logic that reveals why LPs are better than CDs in many ways; you are forced to listen to an album in its entirety, in the order the artist intended. It's sad that today the concept of an entire album is mostly long gone. Funny to think I actually miss the Dolby B noise reduction and Cr02/Metal settings my Walkman featured.